Defense SEOUL, South Korea — Seoul’s military says South Korea and the United States are preparing to hold their annual joint military exercises despite warnings from North Korea that the drills could derail the fragile nuclear diplomacy. South Korea’s Defense Ministry said the exercises will be focused on verifying Seoul’s capabilities for its planned retaking of wartime operational control of its troops from Washington. It did not confirm reports that the drills began on Monday.Story Continued Below North Korea has been ramping up its weapons tests in recent weeks while expressing frustration over the planned drills it sees as an invasion rehearsal and also the slow pace of nuclear negotiations with the United States. The North suggested last month it might call off its unilateral suspension of nuclear and long-range missile tests if the drills take place.
- US, South Korea resume military drills ahead of talks with North Korea
- Seoul says N. Korea asked to delay Pompeo talks: report
- South Korea airlifts 200 tons of tangerines to North Korea in return for shipments of pine mushrooms
- Women in South Korea are destroying makeup and cutting their hair in protest
- South Korea ban Jang Hyun-soo for LIFE after finding 58-capped star faked his military service exemption records
- South Korea's largest dog meat slaughterhouse closed before conversion to public park
- Cult leader Lee Jae-rock jailed for raping megachurch followers ‘on God’s orders’ in South Korea
- Pup of peace: Dog gifted by Kim Jong-un gives birth in South Korea
- Train crosses from South Korea into North for first time in a decade
- North Korea says US-South Korea military drills violate agreement to work towards peace
Seoul says U.S., South Korea preparing joint drills have 278 words, post on www.politico.com at August 3, 2019. This is cached page on Smart Prices. If you want remove this page, please contact us.