Thursday August 22, 2019 01:41 PM Rhode Island lottery officials are trying to block a Republican-backed constitutional challenge to legal sports betting in the state Written by The Associated Press PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island lottery officials are trying to block a Republican-backed constitutional challenge to legal sports betting. Attorneys representing Twin River Casino say Daniel Harrop’s lawsuit filed in May should be dismissed because he isn’t hurt by sports betting and lacks standing to sue. The Providence Journal reports that Harrop sued over the state’s legalization and launch of sports betting without first seeking voter approval. Twin River filed a motion to dismiss on Aug. 5. Democratic Senate President Dominick Ruggerio has said state voters approved sports betting when they approved casino gambling. Despite the pending lawsuit, the Lottery is preparing for mobile sports betting in time for the NFL regular season start on Sept. 5. Rhode Island is the only New England state currently offering sports betting. Share this article
- World's worst gamblers: Australia's destructive love affair with sports betting continues to grow
- Gambling firms see $7B to $8B sports betting market by 2025
- The Advertising and Marketing of Online Sports Betting
- Colorado to vote on sports betting, and water could benefit
- Trump's Attempts to Challenge Power Structure in US His 'Biggest Achievements'
- WEB Du Bois: retracing his attempt to challenge racism with data
- Stock futures, cryptocurrency and sports bets: What cancer con woman Belle Gibson has been spending her money on rather than paying a fine for her heartless scam
- Sports Shorts: Ivanisevic headlines Hall of Fame nominations
- How betting agencies restrict punters who win too often or too much
- VAR: IFAB to block any attempt for managers to challenge refereeing decisions during game
Rhode Island attempt to block challenge to sports betting have 289 words, post on www.readingeagle.com at August 22, 2019. This is cached page on Smart Prices. If you want remove this page, please contact us.