WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is planning to dispatch 800 or more active duty troops to the southern border at the direction of a president who has sought to transform fears about immigration into electoral gains in the midterms as a caravan of thousands of migrants makes its way through Mexico. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is expected to sign an order sending the troops to the border, bolstering National Guard forces already there, a U.S. official said Thursday. The action comes as President Donald Trump has spent recent days calling attention to the caravan of Central Americans slowly making their way by foot into southern Mexico, but still more than 1,000 miles from U.S. soil. Trump, who made fear about immigrants a major theme of his 2016 election campaign, has been eager to make it a top issue heading into the Nov. 6 midterm elections, which will determine control of Congress. The president and senior White House officials have long believed the issue is key to turning out his ardent base of supporters. The additional troops would provide logistical and other support to the Border Patrol, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a plan… Read full this story
- South Koreans Rally Near US Embassy in Seoul to Protest Sending Troops to Persian Gulf - Photos
- Turkey's President Erdogan sends troops to Libya to defend UN-backed government against civil war
- Former GOP Rep. Justin Amash Says Trump 'Sells Troops,' White House 'Made Up' Iran Threat
- Saudi Arabia Slams Turkish Parliament's Decision to Allow Sending Troops to Libya
- Maxine Waters: Republicans 'shielding' Trump 'going to be responsible for dragging us to war'
- Pope Francis appears to criticize Trump's Mexico border wall plan
- Erdogan says Turkey gradually sending troops to Libya
- Trump warns of 'disproportionate' response if Iran strikes US targets
- European powers reject Turkey's decision to send troops to Libya
- Trump blasts Kathy Griffin over "beheading" photo
Trump to send troops to border as response to 'caravan' (photos) have 322 words, post on www.cleveland.com at October 26, 2018. This is cached page on Smart Prices. If you want remove this page, please contact us.