WATFORD, England (AP) — A first-half double from Ashley Young and Jesse Lingard’s 60-meter solo goal helped Manchester United beat Watford 4-2 on Tuesday to keep in sight of Premier League leader Manchester City.
Watford fought back from 3-0 down with goals in the 77th and 84th minutes, but Lingard ensured the hosts would not complete the comeback by running from inside his own half, skipping past two defenders before finding the corner.
Young, a former Watford player, drove home the opening goal from outside the box in the 19th minute, and curled a free kick into the top corner for 2-0 in the 25th.
United capitalized on poor defending by Watford to score a third in the 32nd minute, with Anthony Martial running onto Romelu Lukaku’s pass to slot home a finish from the edge of the area.
Goals by Troy Deeney, with a penalty, and Abdoulaye Doucoure brought Watford back into the game, only for Lingard to have the final say.
United closed to within five points of City, which plays Southampton on Wednesday.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Liverpool beat Watford to extend unbeaten Premier League run to 34 games
- Solskjaer: Man United need ‘two or three’ new signings
- Man United to play Brugge in Europa League round of 32
- No deal Brexit could force Gareth Bale to make Man United transfer as it would plunge Real Madrid future into doubt
- Mkhitaryan signs for Man United on four-year deal
- PL Sunday preview: Man United, Tottenham in action; Arsenal host Man City
- EPL: Man United move up to 2nd as Liverpool lose more ground
- Man United thrash AZ, Basaksehir dump Moenchengladbach out of Europa League
- Lahore police arrest man who beat up motorcyclist
- How Man United ace has become the complete striker