The Last Line Of Defense is the Web face for LastLine, Inc., which performs security research and “provides protection technology that is complementary to existing anti-virus software and firewalls.” LastLine takes a proactive approach to developing security strategies based on what it calls “cyber crime intelligence that we gather by analyzing millions of suspicious URLs and binaries every day.”A recent encounter in LastLine’s research activities is recounted in “Statistics Don’t Lie… Or Do They?.” LastLine “obtained access to a backend server” used by malicious security crackers in their illegal malware-enabled activities — that is, cracked the security of security crackers’ servers. What they discovered is that the server in question was not as straightforward a malware command and control system as might have been expected.Security researchers and other network security experts often use a mechanism known as a “honeypot.” A honeypot is in effect a fake vulnerable server. Malicious security crackers discover it, and gain access to it, without realizing until after that point that they have not been targeting the real thing. When they do so, their activities are logged and the sysadmins are notified of the breach, allowing these sysadmins to collect network forensic data and other information… Read full this story
- Even digital cameras are at risk of hacking: Security researchers warn WiFi enabled DSLRs can be infected with ransomware
- Video: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Plays Scathing 'Corruption Game': 'It's Already Super Legal for Me to Be a Bad Guy, So It's Even Easier for the President'
- Billie Eilish's 'Bad Guy' Hits No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100, Dethroning Lil Nas X's 'Old Town Road' After Record 19 Weeks on Top
- Billie Eilish Gets Silly in 'Bad Guy' Vertical Video: Watch
- Billie Eilish Unveils 'Bad Guy' Remix With Justin Bieber: Listen
- Awesome Asian Bad Guys Reunite to Save the Day in Film Project
- Billie Eilish's 'Bad Guy' Hits No. 1 on Pop Songs Airplay Chart
- Hackers can hijack smart speakers using a laser pointer, researchers warn
- Chart Beat Podcast: With Billie Eilish's 'Bad Guy' Dethroning Lil Nas X's 'Old Town Road,' Is His Record Unbeatable?
- ‘Priyanka Chopra gaslit me, made me look like the bad guy,’ says Pak woman who yelled at actor as Twitter takes sides
Are bad guys using honeypots to catch security researchers? have 372 words, post on www.techrepublic.com at November 23, 2010. This is cached page on Smart Prices. If you want remove this page, please contact us.