On the morning of Nov. 17, Ben Adams found himself hiding beneath the retractable cover in the back of a Chevy TrailBlazer. The truck was parked in front of a warehouse in Duncanville, Texas. His friend “Sam,” the TrailBlazer’s owner, had just finished a test drive on a 1949 Chevy truck–the same truck Adams was certain had been stolen from him four months earlier.Adams pulled out his mobile phone and dialed 911. “Please help me,” he said. “I’m at a warehouse. There are criminals all around me.”The story of how a mild-mannered software developer from San Antonio, Texas, ended up running his own undercover sting operation against eBay fraudsters begins with a truck. And if the story has a lesson, it’s the one told on Adams’s blog: Don’t mess with Texas, especially if it involves a truck. The Colbert RapportLast July, Adams sold the 1949 Chevy in an eBay auction. The buyer, who called himself Derrick Colbert, appeared to be from Georgia. And when a transport company employee showed up at Adams’s door with a cashier’s check for US$9,600, Adams let him load up the truck and promised to hand over the title when the check cleared.The next day, he learned… Read full this story
- Truck thief jailed for ramming police car
- The 11 ways you can save money on eBay, from finding misspelled entries to haggling
- Reese’s Pieces chocolate egg filled with peanut butter selling for almost DOUBLE the price on eBay
- Nintendo Switch eBay scammer sells almost 500 consoles for ultra-low price of £230 – but they never arrive
- Court hears of truck driver's 'instinctual reaction' to try to avoid crash
- Ebay is having a flash 15% sale on computers, tablets, video games and consoles until tonight
- Warning over rise of fake watches, trainers and handbags on eBay, Facebook and Gumtree – but can YOU spot a dud?
- My Little Pony, Barbie and Game Boy toys are selling for up to £1,200 on eBay – here’s how you can cash in
- Lawyer who quit job now makes £100K buying and selling on eBay
- Struggling mums reveal they make hundreds selling dirty knickers on eBay
Using eBay to catch a truck thief have 361 words, post on www.infoworld.com at December 24, 2007. This is cached page on Smart Prices. If you want remove this page, please contact us.